My first Challah
Challah Bread 焼いてみた。
「Bread flour じゃなくてAll-purpose flourにかえてみようか」
Makes 2 loaves
6 g Active dry yeast
190 g Warm water (I use bottled water)
60 g Granulated sugar
60 g Olive/Vegetable oil
2 Whole Eggs
2 Egg yolks
8 g Sea Salt
250 g Bread flour
250 g All-purpose flour
1 Egg and a pinch of salt for the egg wash
Sesame / Poppy seeds for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, weigh out the yeast . Add the warm water and stir until the yeast has dissolved.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, salt and sugar, set aside.
- Beat the whole eggs and Egg yolks and add to the yeast solution.
- Add the dry mixture to the liquid and mix it.
- Mix in the oil until well combined.
- Cover the bowl and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a floured clean work surface and knead until the dough gets smooth.
- Grease the bowl and return the dough to the bowl.
- Cover the bowl and let it rise for 1 hour.
- After the dough has risen and doubled in volume, punch down the dough, cover and let it rise again for 1 hour.
- Place the dough on the floured work surface and divide it into 2 equal portions.
- Take 1 portion and divide into 4 equal portions again. These are for 1 Challah bread.
- Roll them into long sausages and braid them. (I found the excellent YouTube video which shows how to braid Challah!)
- Place the dough on the sheet tray lined with the parchment paper.
- Brush the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame / poppy seeds.
- Final proofing for 45 minutes – 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450°F
- Place the bread in the preheated oven, pour the water onto the brick blocks and shut the oven door immediately. Turn down the oven to 400°F, bake the bread around 15 – 20 mins with *steam.
- Let them cool onto a rack.
- Ready to eat!
* I use 2 brick blocks to create steam in my oven. Place them on the sheet tray and preheat it in the oven. Pour the water onto the bricks right after putting the bread in the oven and then shut the oven door immediately.